(82.02%) appeared for the exam, of which 1,36,699 (13.88%) have qualified GATE 2013. Women candidates comprised 39.75% of the total registrants while Men candidates comprised 60.25%.
(Hover on the graphics to see some details)
The three-hour test was conducted on two days over four sessions in total. The computer based online exam for 2,02,223 candidates in fifteen papers was conducted in 572 centers spread over 123 cities and towns across the country on 20th January 2013. The offline exam for 9,98,505 candidates in the remaining six papers was conducted in 992 centers spread over 183 cities and towns across the country on 10th February 2013.
A larger fraction of the registered men appeared (88%) for the exam than women candidates (72%). Nearly 81% of the total number of candidates who appeared for GATE 2013 were from four papers: Electronics and Communication Engineering (2,56,135), Computer Science and Information Technology (2,24,160), Mechanical Engineering (1,65,814) and Electrical Engineering (1,52,381).
Women form 20.9% of the total qualified candidates. As per the candidate supplied category (General, OBC-NC, SC, and ST) information, among the qualified candidates, 72,125 belong to General, 41,237 to OBC-NC, 18,936 to SC, and 4,401 to ST category. Physically challenged candidates comprise a total of 1,136 among the qualified in various categories.
The top five States that had qualified candidates as their permanent residence are Andra Pradesh (22,476), Uttar Pradesh (22,400), Maharashtra (9,951), Bihar (9,820), and Kerala (8,992).
The city of New Delhi has the maximum number of qualified candidates who had mentioned it as their correspondence address. Correspondence address City has a slightly different bearing compared to the Permanent State. While the Permanent Residence State often relates to the “Native” State or State where their Parents/Guardians live, the Correspondence City is mostly related to the current residence, which is more likely to be the place of study or employment. The top cities shown in the chart below, form only 31.2% of the total qualified. The remaining 68.8% come from about 1750 cities/towns across the country.
Fifteen Public Sector Units (PSUs) have signed an MoU with IIT Bombay to receive the official GATE 2013 results across various papers for employment screening purposes. Qualified candidates need to apply separately to each of the IITs and IISc to seek admission to post graduate programmes.